THE HISTORY OF
ARCADIA HERITAGE HOMES
The five heritage homes that comprise the Church of Scientology’s campus stand on Stanza Bopape Street in Arcadia, just steps from Embassy Row and the Union Buildings. Built between 1902 and 1908, they pre-date the government centre and represent Arcadia’s emergence as a residential suburb.
Each home was originally constructed during the years immediately following the Anglo-Boer War, when a building boom drew many skilled craftsmen to the region. Typical of the Edwardian era, the otherwise conservative designs feature details from both the Arts and Crafts and Cape-Dutch Revival movements. The homes fittingly served as residences for architects, artisans and labourers during the construction of the Union Buildings between 1910 and 1913.
After acquiring the buildings, the Church meticulously preserved historical features in the course of transforming them into a 21st century Ideal Organisation.
Inaugurated as the home of the Church of Scientology in February 2013, the complex now stands to serve Pretoria long into the future.